Did you just buy a new computer or smartphone? You may be excited to start using it as soon as possible.
You have first to configure your device completely, to start using it without issues. Here are simple steps to take after purchasing a new electronic device to ensure that it will work well for years to come.
1. Install all updates
Installing system updates may be a chore. It must be done before anything else because it affects how other functions will work on the device.
The update reduces bugs, corrects some issues, and generally makes the system more stable and reliable, also updates can provide additional features to the system.
Even if the device you purchased is still new, the manufacturer may have released some software updates since the manufacturing date.
So you may receive many notifications asking you to install pending updates after turning on the device for the first time. So don’t hesitate to click on these notifications and install updates.
If you don’t receive update notifications, in some cases check them manually.
- On a Mac, search for and open the Apple Store.
- On iOS, open Settings, then go to the General menu and select Software Update.
- For Windows users, go to Settings or control panel, then “Update & Security”, and click on “Windows Update”.
- On Android, go to Settings, then search for System and tap on it, then tap on Advanced to show more options, and finally tap System Update.
2. Adjust security settings
You probably store a lot of your personal files, photos, videos on your different devices no matter what is the type of operating system you are using (Windows, Android, iPhone), and your new device is of course not an exception of being secured.
So it’s important to protect your digital data with strong security settings.
For phones or tablets, Security starts on the lock screen, where you must at least set up a “PIN” code or a password.
But today Some Devices have more than just unlock options, so it will allow you to increase the security by adding a fingerprint or facial recognition, which will make your phone well locked.
For computers, you definitely don’t want your data to be accessed by anyone, so set a login password or other security measures to prevent others from accessing your files.
However, there is something that’s called End-Point security, it’s becoming more and more known as so many hackers use some viruses to remote your PC monitor into their PC and get all your info.
- On Windows devices, you can set up the password by going to Settings and searching for it.
- On a Mac, open System Preferences, go to Security & Privacy, and look for Setting Password under the General tab.
Once you protect your computer from intrusion by strangers, you are left with antivirus protection.
Microsoft Windows provides the basic “Windows Defender” program to protect against viruses, which can be enough to protect you from malware, and some users are satisfied with this program.
But if you are a person who really likes to feel secured digitally then there is more protection options for your windows system or your Mac, you can install an external antivirus program.
- According to the AV-Test website, which specializes in security programs, the best antivirus programs for Windows in terms of virus detection, ease of use, and low impact on system performance are Bit Defender, which costs $35, also Norton 360, which costs $55.
- For Mac, you can use the program «Avast» for FREE as a trial version, or Norton 360 for $55. These programs have achieved good results in terms of malware and internet protection tests.
- However,for smartphones, you don’t need to use antivirus software because android phones are scanned by Google Play and Iphone are scanned by APP Store. You just have to take care from other security threats, like spam emails or messages you receive.
3. Transfer files from the old device
Transfer your files from your old device by picking the most important for you, and useful, so that you will not lose them in the future.
In fact, transferring those files to your new device is made with ease.
- Initially, Make a list of the programs you currently rely on, then head to the App Store on the new device and download them one by one.
- You will be able to restore purchases for apps that you previously paid for, because they are linked to your Microsoft, Apple, or Google account.
- Some apps will have to be removed from old devices before you can transferring then installing them on the new device.
- Just sign in to your account using these apps, then a lot of your data and settings will be transferred automatically once you have done it, like google drive for example.
To transfer your files, you can use cloud software that is provided by most phone companies. Apple, Microsoft, and Android devices provide their users with cloud storage that comes already on the smartphone, which is iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.
You can use Dropbox or Onedrive for cloud storage as a trusted third-party cloud storage service. All the above options work smoothly on various systems, except for the iCloud service, which is limited to the ac OS iMac system only.
All of these could software work in the same way. Install the app on your old device, upload your files to the cloud from that device, then install it on your new device and sign in to your account to be able to access it easily.
In some cases, you will find that your data needs more place to be stored, but if you are transferring files between computers, you can also use an external hard drive, in addition to the cloud.
You just need to insert the hard drive into the first PC then copy files to the drive, then insert it into the Second PC and paste all your files.
Once you’ve saved all your data from your old device, you should erase it so you can get rid of it safely.
Just after copying your files, erase all data from old device by doing a factory reset.
- On Windows, go to Settings, Update & Security, click Recovery, and click Get started under Reset this PC.
- On your Mac, you need to restart the device, and then hold “Command + R” during the restart process to get to the factory reset screen.If your computer is running an Apple Silicon processor, press and hold the power button until you see Load startup options, select Options, press Continue and follow the instructions.
In both cases, you will get to the recovery window, from there, choose “Disk Utility” from the list, select the main drive and click on “Erase” and choose “APFS” in the “Format” menu, after that click on the “Erase Volume Group” option.
When you finish, end the “Disk Utility” section and select the “Reinstall Mac” option.
The process is a little easier on Android phones and iPhones.
- On Android, go to “Settings,” then go to “System,” search for “Advanced” and click on it, then tap “Reset.”
- On iOS, open the Settings app, select General, then Reset, and tap Erase All Content and Settings.
4. Preparing to make a backup
After transferring your files and photos to your new device, you should be ready to set up a backup routine.
Then, Your data will always be safe in case of any sudden failure or problem with your device.
For a mobile phone, Android and iOS automatically back up a lot of your important data, but you may need some extra help to save your text messages on Android.
You can find more details about the data that is backed up on the phone and verify the safety of this process directly from Apple’s or Google’s website, or the phone manufacturer’s website.
As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of cloud storage apps available.
Perhaps the easiest solution is to use the service that is built into the device you are using, like iCloud, OneDrive, or Google Drive. You may have to buy additional cloud storage for a few bucks, But it is worth it.
You can also use external cloud storage services, especially if you want to transfer data between devices running different systems.
For example, the Dropbox service can sync your files easily across different systems, you can get a storage space of up to 2 TB for a monthly subscription of $ 9.99.
You can also use OneDrive like cloud storage, which helps you to backup all your data related to your mobile phone and PC.
Your photos and videos will often be the most valuable data you have, so we recommend using “ Google Photos ” to copy them in the cloud.
It works on various systems and gives you a lot of storage space, but you can buy more storage space, too.
However, the other cloud storage app mentioned below can store photos and videos as well.
Also, don’t forget about the physical storage option. If you are formatting a Windows or Mac computer, you can simply buy an external hard drive and copy the most important files on it periodically. Just be sure to keep it in a very safe place.
You have to make sure that all your devices are synced together to prevent losing your data if something happened with one of your devices.
You always have more than one option to backup your data, so don’t backup just with one manual external option, try always to keep your data safe on the cloud and in your hands like a hard disk.
Now it’s your turn to tell if you have been hacked or loosed data before? What was the solution that you used to backup your data?