When you want to open a link on your windows 10 sometimes, it forces you with some tricky ways to open it with Microsoft Edge, so you decide to disable Microsoft edge.
In another scenario, if you are working with a team and you find out that they are using Microsoft Edge for personnel benefits, so you will also decide to disable or uninstall it.
Maybe you just want to clear cache and history to help protect your privacy, so you will delete your traces.
In this article, I will show you how to disable Microsoft edge and clear everything on it in win 10.
How to Disable Microsoft Edge completely on Win 10
To understand how to disable Microsoft edge, you should know that the last update made for Edge starting from Jan 2021, it became a chromium-based web browser.
That means Microsoft Edge is related to windows 10 system files and it’s hard to delete it permanently, but I will show you how to disable it at least and work on other browsers.
I will show you how to disable it just without uninstalling it, so maybe in the future, you will decide to work with it again.
Let’s see the steps:
- First, in your windows 10 Desktop
- Close Microsoft Edge if you are using it
- Then, click “Ctrl+Alt+Del”, after a full blue page with option will open
- On the blue page, you will have multiple options including “Task Manager”
- Click on “Task Manager”, then after it opens click on “More Details” to see all app that is opened in the background
- Scroll down to “Microsoft Edge”, and check if it’s there click on it then “End Task”
- Now go to your PC file explorer folder, and follow this destination “C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe”
- After you see Microsoft.Microsoft edge… folder, right-click on it
- Then rename it, for example, you can put “[Disabled]”, to know after that you have disabled this file
- After finishing, Edge will be disabled
Don’t forget that in the future updates Microsoft will enable the Edge app, so if you wanted to disable it again you can do it by the same method or try the next method down below.
Also note, that it’s not possible to uninstall or remove Microsoft Edge using Powershell.
How to stop Microsoft Edge from being installed automatically after disabling it
You can try to stop Microsoft Edge from being installed automatically, and prevent the changes that will happen on your next windows update.
This method is done with the registry by editing it, it’s somehow an easy way for most users with small steps to complete it.
Check those steps:
- Go to the Search Bar in your windows 10, then click on it
- Search for “Registry Editor”, then a blue block will show, which is the desired app
- Click on it, and a popup will open asking you to allow the app to make changes on the windows
- Click on Yes
- On the left bar, where you can see the files, Navigate to this file “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft”, Or you can simply copy and paste the file location into the Registry
- Then right-click on the Microsoft folder, and choose “New”, then “Key”
- Name the Key registry “EdgeUpdate”, and right-click on it
- Click on New again, then choose “DWORD (32-bit) Value” and name this “DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium”
- Now double click on the “DWORD (32-bit) Value” value and change the value to “1”, then click okay
You will now be able to update your windows without making any new changes to disable Microsoft Edge again.
How to Clear Caches, History, Cookies on Microsoft Edge to make it Faster
Most Microsoft Edge users have noticed that it was slow when they are using it for common browsing tasks.
So to make it more efficient or try to boost it, you have to make some changes in order to browse at least with a faster speed and keep it safe.
Let’s see how:
- Open your Microsoft Edge browser, then at the top right, click on the three-dot
- Now a menu will open up, hover down and click on Settings
- After Settings pages open, look at the left menu, then choose “Privacy, searches, and Services”
- When you click on “Privacy, searches, and Services”, you will find out a blue button on the bottom right, which is “Choose what to clear”, click on it
- Then a new popup will appear, and you will be able to check all that you want to clear, like browsing history, download history, cached images
- Now it’s up to you to choose which type of caches you want to remove, also you can select the time range to decide on which time you want to delete them
After clearing what you want, restart Edge and you will find that what you cleared is done.
Don’t forget to make sure what you want to delete because if you cleared everything you will be able to restore them.
How To Delete Microsoft Edge Favorites and reset them
If you want to delete Microsoft Edge favorites there are two methods to do it, whether by going to the favorite location directly or by using the Edge settings.
But I think it’s better to go directly to the Favorites directory, by using the first method that I will show you.
- Open Microsoft Edge browser, then go to the Search Bar on the top
- Copy and paste this file directory “edge://favorites/” inside the Search Bar
- Now Favorite Page will open and show you all the favorite pages and bookmarks you made
- Select any left blank checklist, or any favorite page, then click on your keyboard “Ctrl+A” to select them all (Or you can choose which one you want to delete by selecting multiple Favorite Pages)
- After selecting them, automatically a new small popup will show just over with two options weather “Delete” or “ Cancel”, click “Delete”
- Now Favorites will be deleted
- Open Microsoft Edge, then click “Ctrl+Shift+O”, which will open the favorite popup
- Click on the Three Dots in the popup, then Click on the first option which is “Open Favorites Page”
- After Favorite Page opens
- Select any Favorite link or bookmark
- Then click “Ctrl+A”, then click on delete, like on the first method
- Finally your Favorite will be deleted
So today you learned how to disable edge and remove caches plus favorites, clean everything before stop using it.
You just have to know that when you are using Microsoft Edge at the place of chrome sometimes it will be faster than chrome in my opinion.
But it is stilling the default Microsoft browser, as explorer didn’t succeed people think that edge too didn’t succeed which is not true.
Yes, there is some issue that is still there, but you can always use and modify Edge with your preferred settings.
On the other hand, if you are working with a team and want to disable Microsoft Edge to cut off the laziness of your workers, then it’s a good decision.
Do you think that Microsoft edge is still slow when it comes to browsing tasks? Which method has worked for you?